RE: NTLK More Freeware Releases from Adam Tow incl. HYPERNEWT!

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:56:24 EST

On 3/28/2000 10:00 AM, Bradley Smith [mailto:BradleyS@artisansw.com]
wrote:

>Hmmm, I have to disagree. Newtscape is great but it's way too slow to browse
>the big net pages that are around. Here are some timings for my Newt with
>Newtscape and my PC with IE5. Both times are with no previous cache and
>represent the time taken to download and display the info newt site
>(http://www.info-newt.com) which is not a very big site to be honest: you
>look at it with your desktop browser and it seems very Newton friendly but
>just check out these times!

In all fairness, my main Info-Newt page loads rather slowly - it has a
lot of small graphic files....and right now has several BIG graphic
files....and is running on a very underpowered server and slow network
link (A Mac PowerBook 2300c -- 100Mhz PowerPC 603e, and a 256k outgoing
ADSL link, possibly slower - I forget the exact outgoing speed).

I'd suggest trying a few OTHER sites, not mine, for a fair test of Newt's
Cape.

Try www.macintouch.com, for example, straight text, with few graphics.

And actually, my page looks pretty good on the Newton (well, NetHopper,
anyway, I don't browse the web with my Newton, but I have checked it out
my site with the browswer that came with my Newton....and just recently
with AvantGo on the Palm, now that they have released a Mac version of
it.)

>1. MP2100 & Newtscape (no cache, no graphics) : 1m 35 secs
>2. PC & IE5 (no cache, no graphics) : 0m 8 secs
>3. PC & opera 3.61 (no cache, no graphics) : 0m 5 secs

5-8 seconds? Wow! My 400Mhz Dell at work doesn't get my site anywhere
near that fast (Netscape) Just how fast *IS* your 'net link and PC?
Remember the 2100 is only 162Mhz! Are you doing a fair comparison? I'd
say not.

>Now in my book that is just too slow. Most of the time was spent by
>Newtscape formatting the page (at least that's what it looked like according
>to the messages at the bottom of the screen). If we had something like
>Avantgo now that would be cool! I guess Adam's stuff is trying to do the
>same kind of thing?

My site also uses a LOT of tables for formatting; it degrades well on
browsers that don't do tables, though, but it can slow things down if the
browser supports them as I don't specify fixed sizes (just percentages)
so that it adapts to the size of the browser window. NetHopper doesn't
support tables, but I think Newt's Cape does, if I recall correctly.

My site looks on AvantGo much the way it looks on NetHopper. One of the
first things I checked.

>BTW, at home I only have a 14,400 connection with my Newt so web browsing is
>a non-starter.
>Brad

I've browsed just fine with a 14.4k connection on my Newton. No speed
demon, but not too bad. (NetHopper again, though)

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!