Re: NTLK FS: MessagePad 2100 + extras (UK)

From: Michael Strange (mstrange@americainter.net)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 13:44:05 EST

Hi Bradley,

> Ordinarily I would :-). The thing is she's actually right (for once). I'm
> going to develop software for handheld devices. I'm going to do this not
for
> love but money!

But, why would this prohibit you from still developing for Newtons? It
seems to me that the more platforms you program for, the better your income
potential. Since you already know how to program for the Newton, and you
seem to like doing it, it seems a shame to give it up all together. Not
that it is the same, but I teach Kung Fu on the side, have never made money
off of it, but I love doing it, my students enjoy it, I can not really put a
price on that. I see developing for the Newton in a similar light. Granted
you will not get rich, but you can make some money doing what you enjoy, and
still do other things to pay the bills. I am sure that palm could use a
Outlook sync.

> A couple of weeks ago I asked how many people would buy an Outlook
synching
> program for $30 and got about 30 people saying the would or might buy it.
30
> people is not enough to make it worthwhile. Remember that the last TON
> survey said people wanted that sort of program more than anything else
> (IIRC) so it's not like I could think of something else to write and get
> thousands buying it.

IF you are looking for money by supporting a DEAD platform, you are
definitely looking in the wrong place. With the amount of people still
developing dwindling, the Newton really does not have a very long reaching
future, especially from a money making point. I am not sure, but I do not
think that the main developers still around support themselves via newton
software. I would say that they do it as an act of love. (Correct me if I
am wrong).

I personally do not like the palms. I gave my IIIx to my GF. I dug my
mp120 back out, and have not looked back. I even upgraded twice in the last
month! Now I have a unupgraded MP2k (which is way cool). But I am a
realist. The platform is dead. I just plan on using it until something
comes out that blows it away. In the meantime, I am working on a land
surveying application, mainly the computations, but if I get good at
programing this little puppy, I hope to incorporate data collection, and
make an electronic field book. Now, I suck at programming. It has been a
long time since I have tried it. I dug out my C++, Visual J, etc. and am
preparing my computer for a reformat and reload to make sure everything
works good when it is loaded. I am also contemplating purchasing a MAC for
the programing platform. (even longer delay). I never plan on offering this
software to anyone, I have not heard of anyone even wanting this kind of
software. I just Want to do it. (Or fail horribly).

Just my observations on the subject. You got to do what you got to do.

Michael

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!