NTLK Re: Apple PrintPack vs GDT/InfoWave PowerPrint Cables

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 15:21:10 EST

Hi Laurent and Brian,

The Apple PrintPack cables was manufactured by GDT Softworks, which later
became InfoWave.

As far as I know, there was only one version of the PrintPack cable
manufactured with the ROM construct (PrintPack 1.0) that downloaded the
drivers. GDT later did an update to the drivers (PrintPack 2.0) that was
only distributed in software form as a downloadable package.

The PowerPrint cables (at least the pre-V.4.X ones) were identical in
function (serial to parallel conversion) to the Apple PrintPack cables. The
*only* difference (besides the packaging) was the Apple PrintPack had the
driver ROM in the head, and the PowerPrint cable did not. If you installed
the PrintPack 2.0 software package on your Newton, it could print through
the PowerPrint cables just fine. I've heard that the later versions of
these cables (V.4.0 and greater) may not work, but the 3.X versions worked
great.

IHTH...

Regards,

Gary