Re: NTLK Re: Wireless LAN... again

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 23:58:42 EST

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Bill Davis wrote:

> On 3/26/2000 7:09 PM, Stainless Steel Rat
> [mailto:ratinox@peorth.gweep.net] wrote:
>
> >FWIW, if it really is is IEEE 802.11, it already works with AirPort.
>
> I thought I recall someone saying that they'd tried it and it didn't, or
> that it wasn't QUITE the same thing as IEEE 802.11, but similar. I'll
> have to look at my archives (or Victor's).

I read in one of the press releases a comment about upgrades to the
standard when it was finalized or something; it may be that the cards
that shipped were not 100% compliant with an emerging standard.

As exciting as the exitance of an existing, working driver is, I am
thinking this sounds less and less hopeful, since the cards are
unavailable now. They were very early and expensive (like most of them at
the time).

I'm going to spend some free time (break andd stuff) pursuing a driver for
the standard cheap Lucent cards.

gopi.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!