Re: NTLK Re: newtontalk

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 03:00:09 EST

Well, just what are you looking for, and just how deep
are your pockets?

There are three common methods of wireless data
transfer available for the Newt.
I have used all three and find that they are
acceptable for all Newts that run the OS2.0 or higher.
Although with older Newts (read, 120) the heap space
may limit the functionality.

1) Wireless network (wireless ethernet card that
allows you to maintain a network connection
wirelessly. There is at least one brand which is
supposed to work with the Newton, and I have only
seen, and used a prototype once.
2) Packet-switched. This utilizes some kind of
"you-send, I-send" format. Meaning that data transfer
occurs in one direction at a time. Usually used for
email and other "batch" data interaction. This
includes technology that goes by the name of: CDPD,
(wireless data usually offered by your LEC), using a
CDPD modem manufactured by Motorola (good luck finding
one that works with the Newt) I believe that Sierra
Wireless has a type II card for CDPD, but no Newton
drivers. If someone can get the Motorola drivers, they
perhaps can be modified to work with the Sierra
wireless devices. BellSouth Wireless (formerly known
as RAM Network) and the Ardis (now known as the
American Mobile Satellite service). These last two
devices both use a modem that was originally lisenced
for sale by 3Com called the AllPoints card (actually
manufactured by Research In Motion <RIM> a company in
Ontario Canada, getting more and more press every day)
This type II card has a protruding box that houses a
9Volt battery and a gaudy gold colored antenna. Packet
switched is V-E-R-Y expensive...Base rates start at
around $20-30/month with like 20 packets free (each
packet is like half a kilobyte) and each additional
packet is something like $0.29 each...simple math
shows that this is not the way to send those 2
megabyte attachments...unless paying $50 for it is not
a problem! Service can be gotten from Wynd and Go
America (look them up at your favorite search engine)
If you need the software, ask me, I'll get it for you
and depending on the service, I'll instruct you on how
to program the server ID into your device. One-way
pagers (Socket) and two-way pagers (are there any that
work with the Newt?) fall into this category.
You can see these devices here:
http://www.intouchusa.com/pagers.html

3) Circuit-switched. Simply put, this is your Cell
phone. If you have a cell phone and a cellular capable
modem, or if your cell phone has a "data kit" that the
Newt can work with, then it is a simple matter to hook
it to the Newt and start sending. Obviously, your
pricing depends on your plan and monthly fees (I just
heard that Sprint is offering 1,000 minutes for
$20/month...intriguing!) Needless to say, this has the
exact opposite problem as number 2 above. Multiple
short connections will cost more than a single long
connection (most cellular plans round partial minutes
UP to the next highest minute)

So, there you have it...if someone has more to offer,
be my guest! But these are the basics. Personally?
Well, I'm partial to the AllPoints card and Go
America.

In all the above instances, the availability of
service in your area to support your preferred method
of wireless Newt connectivity is varied and more than
likely, your ability to utilize these services, even
though they are available in your area, may be
dissapointing at the least. Don't expect connection
speeds (circuit-switched) faster than 14,400 <ha! be
glad you get 4,800!>, packet-switched, well, I usually
connect at 9,600) and keep your bank account well
stocked!

But, keep your eye out on wireless pricing to go down.
It will happen suddenly, but it will happen!

Ed
web/gadget/cellular guru
--- Jan Feigus <jfeigus@ComCAT.COM> wrote:
> Can someone please explain the current options
> available for
> wireless on the Newt 2100? I know the Socket card is
> available, but
> just what else works? I'd like to be able to send
> and receive. The
> Socket card just receives only.
>
> Jan Feigus
> jfeigus@comcat.com

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://im.yahoo.com

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!