Re: NTLK LocalTalk using Basilisk?

From: David Arnold (arnold@dstc.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 17:10:42 EST

-->"Ed" == Ed Kummel <tech_ed@yahoo.com> writes:

  Ed> The RS-422 is something like 200and some kbps...(I keep thinking
  Ed> 218, or 276kbps, but that is some foggy memory) while most
  Ed> legacy RS-232 ports top out at 115kbps (I have seen some faster,
  Ed> but they aren't reliable at those speeds)

localtalk runs at 230.4Kbps, double the top speed of the 16550-style
UART used in PC chipsets (in async mode).

it also has a requirement that the hardware is able to sense frame
transmission and missing clock signals. this is why most early Macs
used the zilog 8530 serial controller which provides these abilities.

sadly, the intel 8250/16550 controller family does not, and so to get
localtalk on a PC, you need a card with an 8350 on it (many of the mac
peripheral people used to make these).

but really, ethernet (and EtherTalk) is the simpler, cheaper, faster
way to go now ...

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!