NTLK printpack2 Q's

From: Brian McEwen (brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 01:13:09 EST

Ok, I've had an Infowave v4.5 Powerprint cable sitting around for a while-
I used it with my desktop mac for a bit at work.

I'm testing printers at work with it, and my MP130 now; the Brother HL-1250
laser doesn't work (I'm not surprised), the Epson stylus color 800 doesn't
work (I'm a little surprised- epson stylus driver exists), and the HP
Deskjet 540 doesn't work (and it's listed in the printpak 2.0 .pdf file as
suitable for the "deskjet" driver).

Even without being connected to a printer, the Newt tells me
connecting.... preparing.. printing... confirming... the note that I'm
printing. Same thing happens when I am connected to the printer, but the
printer might as well be unplugged- it doesn't even seem to be getting any
data at all. No garbage outputs even :(

The printers don't even act like they are getting any signal, not even the
HP Deskjet 540 which is supposed to be of the right vintage to work
properly. But I don't see that I could be routing my printing via beaming
by mistake or anything....

And another strange thing- I've installed the printpak 2.0 package from
Apple, but only have 14 drivers available: the .pdf for the printpak also
lists a LaserjetII printer driver, which isn't appearing on my M130.

This is the new (ish) cable that comes with printpack 4.5; could it be that
the only cable that worked with the MP were the older cable (They did
change something in the cable between 3.x and 4.5; I have the old style
printpack cable at home and was going to have to buy the new model
powerprint cable to support a new model parallel printer- there was more
than a driver update needed, they said).

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm going to root around at home and see
if I can find the old (3.0? I forget the version ID) print cable to test
soon.
I've never read that MP users had to be careful which cable to buy, though...

Brian

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!