NTLK RE: Sine of the Time S/W..

From: James Simons (jesimons@bigplanet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 03:53:45 EST

speaking of venting......

Ash,

Were you aware that your software, Blueprint2 and 1.97, in their full
versions were included in the old NewtonMAD archive..
So, jumping this guy seems like a bit much.. You should be aware if your
software is being ripped off.. And, this was a VERY
public archive, with many mirrors..

It seems kinda hard that you wouldn't know it was there, since it was posted
on 09-27-98 @ 9:58PM.

The archive is presently being cleaned up of illegal software.
 http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/nmad-cleanup/ )

The guy was livid about your site and support disappearing... And, to pony
up the cash and get dropped support, with no communication, is pretty weak
on your part..

It's no excuse for ripping off your software.. But I, personally, can
understand his mindset..
I don't advocate his actions. It really would infuriate me, if I were in the
same situation..

As a part of the Newton Community, We as users have a responsibility to
financially support the coders.. But, that's a two way street.. And, for the
coders not to accept the responsibilties to their user-base is also wrong..

Steve Weyer has set the example for coders in the Community.. He is present,
and very pro-active.. And, is scarily prompt and knowlegeable in his
replies.. I can't speak enough of his contributions to this Community, both
in code and spirit..

It seems as if you are posing a threat to the Community about "thinking
twice" about releasing your software as charity/freeware??
It really sounds like it to me..

To me, this person's actions do not reflect the whole of the Community, and
to penalize the entire Community because of one individual's actions is
wrong.. period.

James.

Please do not engage activities like the above
individual has, because it
seriosly damages our trust in the Newton community,
and simply makes us
think twice about releasing our software as a free
gift to the Newton
community as we have been planning.

Thanks for letting us vent,

Ash