Re: NTLK Ethernet on Newton

From: David Arnold (arnold@dstc.edu.au)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 16:34:46 EST

-->"Drew" == Drew Loker <lokerd@hotmail.com> writes:

  Drew> Hmmm. Bummer. I just purchased 2 ethernet cards from Bradley
  Drew> thinking I would be able to use them with my PCs. Now I can't
  Drew> remember why I need them if I can't get the PC connection
  Drew> going. Is there some way around this?

sure. you can use them for all the IP-based stuff (probably with
WinGate or something on your PC). so you can install packages through
NetHopper for example, and access your diary/names through NPDS.

it's still *very* worthwhile having the ethernet, it just doesn't work
with NCU.

  Drew> What about PCMacLan that creates an AppleTalk stack that I
  Drew> currently use to print form a PC to a Apple LaserPrinter?

the PC version NCU doesn't even pretend to work over EtherTalk (i
believe). so i doubt that PCMacLan (or Dave, or ...) will help.

  Drew> Will I be able to print to the Apple LaserPrinter from the
  Drew> Ethernet card on my Newton?

yes. in that case, NCU has no involvement. any AppleTalk (via
EtherTalk) printer on your network should be available. you'll notice
that HP laserjets tend to have this support built in. also WinNT can
be configured to export its printers via EtherTalk.

(still toying with the idea of setting us a sync program via NPDS)

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!