Re: NTLK Ethernet on Newton

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 18:23:49 EST

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 gopi@sloth.org wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Gert Menke wrote:
> > > might consider getting a cheap Mac with ethernet that you incorporate in
> > > your network.
> > Well, Linux has AppleTalk support, right?
> > Isn't that all you need?
> > Maybe you should consider using a real operating system on
> > at least one of your computers... ;-)
>
> The Newton supports IP as well, so the actual protocol isn't the issue.
> What AppleTalk software would you run under UN*X? AFAIK, a print server
> is the only possibly useful thing.

I believe it's also the only application in existance for Linux... at
least among freely-available software packages.

> THe core problem is that Newton Connection Utilities on the Mac side
> supports AppleTalk, which you can run over Ethernet or LocalTalk. NCU for
> Windows doesn't support AppleTalk because there is no real, standard
> AppleTalk stack for windows. Hence no network connectivity for it. Serial
> only to a Windows box, serial or network to a Mac.

Yes, now to help out the person who started this thread (whose name is
long since lost), you might try grabbing a copy of the BasiliskII emulator
and giving it a shot. It will patch into the Windows network stack,
allowing the Mac running inside the emulator to access the network. I've
had limited success using this to backup using NCU for Mac.

There should be links and info for BasiliskII in the list archives, I'm
sure it's come up before.

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!