NTLK My dead 130

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 05:36:34 EST

> Frank, since you've been around for quite a while on this list as well I
> hesitate to ask these questions but I'll give it a try anyway.

Don't hesitate. People DO tend to get a trifle stupid when their precious
toys suddenly appear to have died...

> Did you check the little contrast dial (that's still hardware on a 130 I
> think)

Yep. The contrast is ok. The MP behaves perfectly ok for the first 10
seconds or so, _then_ the screen goes blank and the MP doesn't even react to
a brain wipe until all power is removed again for some time.

> Did you try to leave the batteries out for at least a couple of hours ?

Yes. I tried to leave it out for 1 hour. No success. I tried to leave it out
for 10 hours with the power switch pressed. No success.
I removed all batteries on Friday and will give it a last try tomorrow.

> A while back, my 120 died. I put new batteries in, nothing. I tried
> everything, praying, etc.

Actually the MP should work without a backup battery or main battery
installed,
only powered by the ac adapter. However, I have checked the backup battery,
its
voltage is 3.2 volts which means it is as new.

I tried all combinations I could think of:

- AC adapter alone
- AC adapter and main batts
- AC adapter and main batts and backup batt
- Main batts alone
- Main batts and backup batt

The problem remains.

> Then I thought...hey what about that backup battery? I purchased a new
one,
> put it in, and bingo, the thing came on.

I will try it with another backup battery. One more streak of hope. If it
doesn't work, I'll take the 130 apart and have a look at it under a
microscope.
And if that doesn't help, either, I guess I'll have to find excuses for
having to shell out the money for a 2100 although my collection currently
consists
of a MP100, 110, 120, 130, dead 120, maybe dead 130. Hgrmphhh...

:-((

Frank

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!