Re: NTLK B/W G3+ Keyspan serial + MP130 + IPNetrouter

From: Brian McEwen (brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 09:01:16 EST

>On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 NewtonOz wrote:
>> I agree. VIG is horrible.
>>
>> We like IPNR. It can also be used as a kind of firewall.
>
>i should clarify that IPNR will not work with newtons via MacIP over a
>serial, but will work otherwise of course (ethernet)
>
>or, am i wrong?
>
>--
>charlie@rubberduck.com
>Melbourne, Australia
>http://rubberduck.com/ -PGP available

It sure looks to me like it will work via MacIP over serial; You will of
course have to figure something out for DNS- either run your own, or use
your usual one (but you will have to make sure that IPNR handles the
request so that it will talk to you. MacDNS is free, and works OK for
small lookup tables (not the right word, it's to early in the AM (or too
late a night). I could not find any posts on nettalk that said it would
not, only a couple quotes like the one I sent earlier that said it would
work.

But I think I'm still out of luck in my situation- I can't use MacIP due to
the Keyspan not letting Appletalk across. grrrrr.... I might have to set up
an SE/30 or something plus IPNR just to hook the MP130 up. Annoying thing,
is that my faithful SE-30 I think has a fried SCSI controller (external
cable to the SCSI--ethernet adapter got pulled when things were being
shifted on the desk) and the other SE/30 needs a power supply (I think).
Have to take things apart and start swapping parts, I guess.

I'm REALLY hoping to find an app for the G3 that will let me DIALUP to the
modem on the G3, and then I could use IPNR to provide internet services to
the modem link. But sustworks.com FAQ says "we don't do that, 3rd party or
Apple will someday"- but, I've not found a solution yet.
This would still be easier (2 modems) than doing the whole SE/30 thing.

Solutions welcome!

Brian

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!