Re: NTLK MP2000 cover/lid? <--Fix, don't replace!

From: Rick Berry (rick_berry@carry-safe.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 12:04:19 EST

Excellent info from Helen, here, but I took a different tack....

Soon after I bought my first MP2K, one of the plastic pins (the "dead" one,
not the spring-loaded one) broke off, with minimal force (ie, not abuse).
I called Apple (since I was under warranty) and made them send me a new one.
Apple fulfillment usually doesn't require sending back the old/broken part if
it's on the cheap side, since it would cost the company more to receive and
process it that it cost to begin with....

Anyway, I looked at the new door and decided that it would just break too.

I went to the hardware store and got some brass rod, and spent a couple hours
installing a new brass pin on the dead side, held in place with epoxy resin.
I expect this repair will outlast the rest of the door.
I had planned to replace the pin in the "live" or spring-loaded side, but just
haven't needed to so far.

If you'd like me to fix a door for you, I'll be happy to.
I guess I could charge $10 or so via Paypal, and you wouldn't break any more
pins.

If you're interested, let me know.

~Rick Berry
Rick_Berry@Carry-Safe.com