Re: NTLK White Backlight Kit

From: bpearce@cloud9.net
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 11:40:53 EST

>I am in negotiation with a supplier for a white backlight using LED
>technology. Only a few years ago, this would not have been possible in a hand-held due
>to limited output and current drain. Advances in manufacturing have made
>possible a white LED with low current drain and high output.

As an interesting (if slightly-off-topic) addendum, people have been surprised at the long battery life...weeks, instead of days...of the new color Palm unit. It turns out they've licensed technology from another company and included a processor that increases backlight efficiency as much as 60% over other color display power sources, thus extending the overall battery life. (I'll be curious to see how this new backlight might affect battery life.)

>The cost has yet to be determined but expect around $85.

I must say, I'm impressed you were able to keep the price down so low. I'm must admit, I'm kinda hesitant to be an early adopter...but I'm very, *very* interested. I hope you'll be able to put some photos of the end result (and maybe even the process of installation) up on the web.

(Say, does anyone recall the location of the site recently mentioned here with photos of a disassembled MP2100?)

BRIAN/bpearce@cloud9.net

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!