Re: NTLK Two little silver contacts

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 01:20:15 EST

Pulling out my old docking cradle, I see that this has
two pins that coinside to the silver tabs on the
120/130 Newts. So, I would conclude that this is for
power!
Now for some trivia. Does anyone know why Apple chose
such a weird place for these charging contacts?

When Apple first created the 110/120/130 Newts, They
got a design request from a rather large phone
manufacturer company. Seimens. Seimens created a desk
phone that had a cradle that was slightly angled back
that the Newt would slide into. It also had a
microphone pickup that coinsided with the speaker on
the Newt. Obviously, the power pins coinsided with the
placement of the silver tabs...What made this design
unique was that your Newt was now an integral part of
the corporate phone system. It even had a connector
that plugged into the DIN connection. Phone number
storage information could be sent from Newt to Newt as
well as backups to the main phone server. You could
slide your Newt into any desk station and it became
your personal phone station (of course! it WAS your
newt, anyway that was controling everything)
I saw this setup at an early convention in the early
90's...it was so cool that if my company hadn't
already invested in a brand new (at that time) NEC
phone system, I would have recommended this!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Eric Henthorne <ejhenthorne@uswest.net> wrote:
> Stupid question, but I can't find it in the FAQ. My
> 130 has two little
> silver contacts on the bottom of the back, just to
> the right of the battery
> cover. What are/were these for? Was there, at some
> time, a holder with a
> permanent hook-up to a Mac/PC, or is it for
> something else?

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://im.yahoo.com

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!