SV: NTLK NEWTON/MESSAGEPAD Future Platform

From: Kasper Jeppesen (kapper@cs.auc.dk)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 06:22:08 EST

> NEWTONTALK Community
> Instead of an EMULATOR what about a new "open" PLATFORM based on the
> basic concepts (UI, Programming, FormFactor) of NEWTON and the
> MESSAGEPAD??? There still is no real competition and there doesn't
> appear to be anything coming...

Ok.. here we go...
I wrote a message to the list some time ago anouncing that I was commencing
the design of a newton replacement pda.. My plan was to do this as an
entertainment project for myself... and the maybe later let some other
people help, but still maintain dictatorship over the whole thing =)

Well it seems like people(including me) are now running in ten different
directions for the future of their PDA... I have therefor decided to drop my
egocentric dictatorship, and is hereby inviting anybody interested to join
me...

Before going any further, in the light of the current zac/palm discussions,
let me for the record say that I am very serious and do concider myself
quite capable too... But for those who need more info before joining heres a
little bit about me and my experience :
My name is Kasper Jeppesen, I'm 24 years old and live in denmark.
I started programing logo on an Apple // in 1986, then evolved to pascal on
an armstrad running cpm.
During the early nineties i was heavely involved in the european amiga
demoscene, programming in 68k assembler.
>From there i continued into C/C++ under Linux and BSD.
I am currently writing my Masters thesis in Computer Science at the
university of Aalborg denmark.

If anybody has any additional questions to verify my seriousity (hmmm how do
you spell that?) or capability, then please.. do post them, and i WILL
answer them...

Now on with the show! My opinion is that the PDA should be hardware
independant.. our problem with the newton right now is that the platform is
dying from a hardware perspective, certainly not a community/software
problem... I propose that the new PDA is initially build fully in Personal
Java...
This will give us a wide range of hardware to run it on.

Anyways this should be enough for people to decide wether or not they are at
all interested in joining. Any additional questions can be emailed on the
list or directly to me...
I have set up a very small web page for the project(which i call pogona..
more on that in a second).. on the project web page, you will find acces to
two listbot lists, one for announcements, and one for the discussion of the
development of the project.. if you are really interested I suggest you join
the development list and ask further questions there... the url for the page
is :

http://www.bitentertainment.com/pogona/

and now about the name... "pogona"... well the newton.. newt... it has a
really cute lizard thing to it.. so i thought it ought to be a lizard
name... and be straight coincidense, i have a bearded dragon as a pet...
(very cute spiky lizard).. anywas, the latin name for the bearded dragon
species is pogona... and that's basically it :) I do also plan to use the
subspecies names of pogona as milestine name.. =).. just for the record, my
own beardie is a pogona vitticepts..

anyways enough for now.. hope I have gotten some interest from some the
great people in the newtontalk community...

regards

  Kasper

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!