RE: NTLK RE: Palm Emulator

From: Jim Anderson (jiman@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 15:52:24 EST

        I may be new to the whole Newton thing, but I've done a few
emulators over the years and I have a few thoughts about different ways to
create a palm emulator.

        First, statistically a StrongARM newton is powerfull enough to
emulate a Palm (which uses a low power variant of the 68000 running at
something like 16MHz) in realtime. An older MP1x0 or eMate would run things
quite a bit slower, of course... The Newton screen is bigger than the Pilot
screen. Big enough to include the Pilot screen, the Pilot silkscreen
buttons, and a "grafitti" area. No problems here.
        The easiest way to get a Palm emulator running would be to adapt an
existing emulator, such as CoPilot. The CoPilot developer has made source
code available, which would be a good place to start. The main problem with
CoPilot (and other chipset emulators) is that you need to have a copy of the
Pilot ROM in order to get it to work. Since many (if not most) Pilot apps
run on older Pilots, this isn't that big of a deal. I see old Pilot
Professionals and Personals for sale for $30 or so all the time.
        A nicer way to go would be an emulator that emulated the complete
runtime environment of the Pilot. This is difficult from a programming point
of view, since you have to emulate the PalmOS as well as the Pilot machine.
The upside of this is no one needs to have a copy of the Pilot ROM to run
it. The downsides are increased development effort, and the possibility of
getting the PalmOS wrong and having apps run incorrectly.

        If I was writing a Palm emulator for the Newton, I'd adapt CoPilot.
It would mean that users would have to get a Pilot to get the ROM from, but
you would get the benefit of starting from a fairly well tested emulator,
and using a well-tested real copy of the PalmOS.

Jim Anderson
ABC 3068
'81 R65 'St. Max'
Long-EZ under construction...

Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard, Be Evil.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!