NTLK B/W G3+ Keyspan serial + MP130 + IPNetrouter

From: Brian McEwen (brian@bmcewen.cvm.okstate.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 13:07:17 EST

OK, from reading the blurb at
http://www.sustworks.com/cgi-bin/sustworks_nettalk_details.pl?timeCreated=919965
531&entryID=YEJo&sWords=Newton&criteria=0&bolden=T

(nice URL)

and gleaning this info:

--
      I can still use IPNR and the Newton. I just have to use a serial PPP
      connection to the gateway Mac. I'm not thrilled about all that plugging

It seems that I could fire up IPNetrouter on the B/W G3 (hardware per my subject line: B/W G3, Keyspan serial, MP130) and have Inet access on the MP130 while at work thru the serial port. This would be way cool.

The other option would be vicom SoftRouter, which also supports MacIP (might be handy for connecting old Macs on other machines, but no help for the current G3 situation- Appletalk won't cross the Keyspan, so the MacIP protocol won't work. Perhaps I could use it on other machines at home, though). For just basic sharing of a network connection, IPNR and SoftRouter are almost the same price. Vicom Softrouter has more capabilities but you buy them for (comparatively) lots $.

Any experiences with IPNetrouter in this type of setup with a Newton serial connection would be appreciated; I'll likely try to find time to play with it on the weekend.

Thanks!

Brian

****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!