Re: NTLK How I got my MP2000

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 00:06:16 EST

The reason I call myself web/gadget guru is that the
place where I used to work, my boss would buy all the
coolest new PDA toys...You name it, I played with it!
I started out with the EO, every form of the Magic Cap
whatever...HP omnigos, 100's and
120s'...Newtons...110s, Marcos, 120s (os 1.3 and later
2.0...Digital Oceans version of the Newton. Palm
Pilots, Windows CE devices (really cool HPs from the
initial 300LX to the Jornada...All the cool wireless
gadgets...AllPoints cards with comped subscriptions,
Motorola 100C's and 100D's, Modem cards with StarTAC
phones, Nokia 9000s and 9000il's, PSION devices,
Ericsson IR phones, including that real cool Ericsson
IR module that retrofits older ERicssons to use IRDA
transmissions...I've played with the HP 100LX, the
200LX, and at one point had over 100 different CE
devices to playwith for over a year...all sitting in
boxes waiting for someone to turn them on...You name
it, I played with it...But it wasn't until my boss
purchased a Newton 2000 that I felt that this was my
PDA of choice (and boy! did I have a choice) I had
adopted a 120 (actually it was a 120 w/1.3 OS, I sent
it to Apple for the upgrade and actually liked it) but
I felt it was lacking something that I just couldn't
put my finger on. I took it to Germany to meet my
relatives and all of them were astounded that the
recognition was so good that it could actually write
in German! But, when that box from the Newton Source
came into shipping one day...I opened it and saw one
of the early Newton 2000's, I thought "this was
something special" Of course, being the "Gadget Guru"
meant I got to have it for a month to figure out what
it could do...well, it never made it back into
inventory....It kinda became "mine". All the employees
knew it was "Ed's Newton" and no one asked for it
back. This guy's been with me since around September
or August of 1995! And it has not left my side since.
When I left my company last year, my boss said, "keep
it, it was always yours in the first place". So, I
think I got all you all beat!
Ed
web/gadget guru

http://im.yahoo.com