Re: NTLK Lookout 1.1

From: Kenneth Wong (ghoonk@mailworld.net)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 06:26:01 EST

Erm, in this case,

1. The hack has been pretty public knowledge
2. There is only one alternative to LookOut, and that's not cheap or even
reliable (I keep getting error 1006 synching contacts)
3. Seamless has not made any attempt to contact any of us who almost NEED
the software. For those of you NOT using MS Exchange server in the office,
it's hard to emphatize. Same for those who don't sync. Easy to talk when
you're out of the picture. My office uses Exchange server for workgroup
collaboration and it syncs well with my Palm, which is a PRIMARY reason why
I bought the Palm in the first place. By alienating people who need to sync
with Exchange, people who condemn hacks in such circumstances are basically
encouraging Newton owners who have NO RECOURSE to go out and SWITCH TO PALM.
4. Hacks are more wrong if the company is still in business. But this
company is OUT OF BUSINESS. Frankly, I'd have gone on using the hacked
LookOut until I learn from any of the active Newton sites or this mailing
list that Seamless handles registration again. Otherwise, I'd have switched
to my Palm. For good.

Kenneth