Re: NTLK Arghh! Dongle Port Gooshed!

From: Susan Freeman (suebeano@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 01:53:50 EST

Gary, my bad. It's, as you surmised, a 2100U and thereby the
serial/dongle interface that I know I've remember others have had it
fall (squoosh, move in an unexpected direction) into the interior of the
housing. It isn't completely loose inside yet but, with 2 1/2 years of
heavy use, I've been pretty fortunate so far. I'm going to call Apple
tomorrow and hope that the experience is relatively painless . . . I
know the withdrawal symptoms will be horrendous.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys. sue

Gary Moody wrote:

> Hold on a sec, I'm confused. The subject line says "Dongle Port", implying
> an MP2X00, whereas the body says "Serial Port", implying an MP1X0.
>
> If it's the MP1X0, then Ed, you are correct, probably a slipped mount.
>
> If it's the dongle port of an MP2X00, it has to go to Dr. Newton or to
> Apple, unless she's *really* good at resoldering delicate SMT connections.
> The dongle port is attached to the Newton only by the solder joints on the
> motherboard (it does *not* attach to the case at all, the case slips over
> it), and it's relatively common for them to eventually break off and the
> d-shell to be pushed back into the Newton. This can cause future problems
> (I mean besides not being able to connect to anything) by the d-shell
> connector, now loose in the Newton's case, possibly shorting out the
> motherboard randomly. Bad news, and a lesson to all of us MP2X00 users - be
> *very* careful with your dongle ports, especially insertion and
> disconnection! Excess stress on this socket will accelerate premature
> failure. This can and will happen to you, eventually!
>
> Regards,
>
> Mr. Anonymous :)

http://im.yahoo.com

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the