NTLK synching over tcp/ip - newton/mac/win/palm/symbian

From: doppler (doppler@mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 16:59:38 EST

hi all!

id really like to synch and backup my newt over tcp/ip. therefore ive
contacted www.teamsoft.com, a company that brovide such software, but
unfortunately only with a serial connection for newton. here is a snippet
from the communication. please dont spam eric, it would look bad if everyone
wrote to him on this list ;-D. by this i dont mean you shouldnt contact
teamsoft, as i think their client/server suite is quite good.

thank you

---

>Från: "Eric Bourbonnais - Teamsoft" <bourbonnais@teamsoft.com> >Till: <roman@pixell.net> >Ämne: Re: newt client software >Datum: tis 7 mar 2000 16.00 >

> Hi, > > The only connection supported is the serial connection. We did not done > extensive testing on the other connections because when we release first 3.x > version, Apple dropped the product so we decide to not go with further > development and testing. > > Best Regards, > > Eric Bourbonnais > Support technique Teamsoft's Technical Support > www.teamsoft.com >

thanx eric!

the newton platform is actually still alive, a lot of software is still developed and independant sources claim tat there still are still some 80-120.000 active newton users worldwide.

im really sorry that team agenda for newton does not suppport synching via tcp/ip. it would be really good to synch the newton with just a cellphone. im subscribing to newton talk, a newton user list with ca 1600 users. we are mostly developers and university folks. one of the things that are discussed atm is synching and dev of synchware. one of the most discussed issues is actually synching between different platforms (palm, windows, mac, newton and so on). if you could connect via the net, teamagenda would be an optimal choice for mixed environments.

a lot of developers are releasing the source for old newton software at this moment. i have a suggestion: if you release the code, someone could try to develop a tcp/ip synch. considering that you actually are charging for the server software, this would not do teamsoft any harm.

thank you

roman pixell

______pixell productions_stockholm__

mailto: roman@pixell.net phone: +46 (0) 8 242 606 fax: +46 (0) 8 598 14 954 cell: +46 (0) 709 10 35 51 icq user number: 3698764 ____________________________________ ****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!