Re: NTLK URGENT WEB PAGE ON NEWTON HELP!

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 06:17:51 EST

>Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 14:18:56 EST
>From: ZACINCCEO@aol.com
>
>I have tried and tried to get web pages on my newton. I need step by step
>instructions on how to get it to work so I can access the web on my newton
>please help

Assuming you'd like to use AOL as your ISP, I think others have answered
why this doesn't work, and that you'd need to establish a PPP network
connection using another ISP.

having said that, it is _possible_ to get web pages on your Newton using
Aloha (I wouldn't call this "browsing"). this even used to work on older
MPs (like MP100) before AOL changed their protocol (and Catamount didn't
update the 1.x clients). you can set Newt's Cape's proxy to mailto:, and
it will send an email message to a proxy server, which will later return a
web page to your Inbox, which you can open via File: Open Inbox. details:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/newtscape/docs/userintf.htm#Proxy
not really what you want, but perhaps amusing...

Steve
weyer@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!