Re: NTLK 120 direct serial to linux (with ppp)

From: brd (vwbrd@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 23:43:30 EST

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 09:43:21AM -0500, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, brd wrote:
>
> > Hello all. I just got a MP120 on Thursday I'm thrilled with it, but
> > think I would be even moreso if I could get set it up via ppp to talk to
> > my linux box.
> >
> > Here's what I've got:
> > 120 with Newton OS 2.0 and Newton Internet Enabler 1.1
> > Redhat 6.0 linux box with 9 pin serial port (com1) and ipmasq running
> > PT100 (newton terminal program)
> >
> > I thought a good first step would be to set up a getty on com1 of the
> > linux box and see if I could open it and login with pt100 from the
> > newton.
>
> Have you read the two Newton->Linux FAQs?
>
> http://home.k-town.de/~oehl/linux.html
>
> http://misf67.cern.ch/~reinhold/Newton/Newton_and_Linux-mini-HOWTO.html

Yes, and I've tried
http://archive.dstc.edu.au/AU/staff/da/stuff/newton-ppp.html
as well.

> > I put an entry in /etc/inittab:
> > S0:23:respawn:/sbin/mingetty ttyS0 115200
>
> You can't use mingetty for serial lines. Use agetty instead, something
> like this:
>
> S0:23:respawn:/sbin/agetty -h -L 115200 ttyS0
>
> (you may or may not need that -L switch...)

Yeah, I discovered that later last night in the man pages for mingetty.
Felt kinda dumb.

Anyway, I'm trying to just establish if I can get the newton
to talk to my linux box at all before I start worrying
about ppp or gettys. So, I built the newton-pc cable from:
http://www.nsbasic.com/newton/info/technotes/cable.html
and hooked it up to com1.

I fire up pt100 for a direct serial connection at 115200 8n1 and set up
minicom to do the same thing, both on ttyS0. Neither of them sends text to
the other.

Shouldn't this work? Am I missing something? likewise, with pt100
connected to ttyS0, I try to 'cat /etc/hosts > /dev/ttyS0' from the linux
box, but never see anything on the newton.

Thanks for the help.
Brian

--
The 21st century begins on January 1, 2001.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!