Re: NTLK 120 direct serial to linux (with ppp)

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 09:43:21 EST

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, brd wrote:

> Hello all. I just got a MP120 on Thursday I'm thrilled with it, but
> think I would be even moreso if I could get set it up via ppp to talk to
> my linux box.
>
> Here's what I've got:
> 120 with Newton OS 2.0 and Newton Internet Enabler 1.1
> Redhat 6.0 linux box with 9 pin serial port (com1) and ipmasq running
> PT100 (newton terminal program)
>
> I thought a good first step would be to set up a getty on com1 of the
> linux box and see if I could open it and login with pt100 from the
> newton.

Have you read the two Newton->Linux FAQs?

http://home.k-town.de/~oehl/linux.html

http://misf67.cern.ch/~reinhold/Newton/Newton_and_Linux-mini-HOWTO.html

> I put an entry in /etc/inittab:
> S0:23:respawn:/sbin/mingetty ttyS0 115200

You can't use mingetty for serial lines. Use agetty instead, something
like this:

S0:23:respawn:/sbin/agetty -h -L 115200 ttyS0

(you may or may not need that -L switch...)

> But when I open pt100 and tell it to Connect -> Connect and Edit
> Session to make it Direct Serial Session and tell it to connect, nothing
> happens. The newton just waits and waits and there is never a login
> spawned on ttyS0 of the linux box.
>
> However, if I try to access the internet from the newton, and tell it to
> use my Direct Serial 115200 profile from internet setup, it will spawn
> off mingetty, though it never takes my username.

Try agetty as above, and read those articles too (they're pretty good)

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!