RE: NTLK Jot v Calligrapher v Newton

From: Michael Wittmann (mcw@wam.umd.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 09:59:18 CDT

> So what's the Newt HWR based on then, I mean it must now come under another
> brand name if its so good.

The recognizer was developed in house at Apple and had the name
Rosetta. It's named after the stone on which three languages (ancient
Egyptian of one form or another, more modern Egyptian, meaning around 100
BC, and old Greek, if I recall correctly), allowing the decipherment of
the Egyptian hieroglyphs. Since what many of us write is chickenscratch,
they might have been better off using a code name related to Mesoptamian
cuneiform, but whatever...

Rosetta is one of the BIG pieces of what the rumor mills hope will
end up in some sort of Apple like PDA to replace the Newton. We haven't
seen a thing, though. Still, the thought of a Palm OS with Rosetta plugged
in sounds neat (though you still have to ask where you write, on screen or
in special region, which then begs the question of how you rebuild Palm OS
to allow on-screen writing, which it presently doesn't do, from what I
know).

>From what has been reported, Apple is holding on to Rosetta in order to
use it elsewhere. Of course, that's just a common sense guess based on the
simple fact that they're not selling it to anyone. The only thing I recall
was a recent report (forget where the link was to, MacOSRumors? Go2Mac?)
that trackpads on upcoming powerbooks would have text recognition of a
sort, meaning you could use them with a stylus. Who knows whether that
sort of thing will ever reach market.

Anyway, that's the sum total of what I know (without going back to check
my memory on historical facts) about Rosetta.

Hope it helps
Michael

[note that much was cut from this post - please only quote the parts you
reply to, if possible, to cut down on mail size]