NTLK Re: newton questions (cookies)

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 05:51:00 CDT

>Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:20:54 -0700
>From: Dan Wormhoudt <dtw@ricochet.net>
>
>...when connected to the internet, there are numerous websites that
>I cannot access (for example, my company's lotus ccmail system). The
>problem appears to be that the Newton can=92t handle =93cookies,=94 which=
>gather are codes that provide security, among other things. Is there a
>way to increase the power or add to the software of NetHopper so that
>the Newton can communicate with complicated websites? Does anyone sell
>another browser for the Newton or NetHopper upgrades?

are you sure this is a cookie problem? I thought that NetHopper (3.2)
handled cookies;
and I know that Newt's Cape and LunaSuite suports them. (btw, cookies don't
provide "security";
they're just a convenient way of saving/providing a small amount of
state/personalized information to the server, sometimes after you've
registered/logged in so that you don't have to be constantly doing that for
each page).

Proxy server configuration is another possible problem -- though again, I
think all of the Newton browsers support that.

However, if the site requires SSL (secure socket layer for encryption), or
JavaScript or Java,
you're basically out of luck.

Steve
weyer@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer