Re: NTLK ADVICE: damaged screen

From: Ben Doughney (ben_d@clear.net.nz)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 02:06:36 CDT

on 25/7/00 10:34 AM, Andrew Chen at a_s_c@compuserve.com wrote:

> My Newton, in it's protective carrying case, got cracked! I don't
> know how - I've had in in that BTI carrying case and dropped it
> numerous times and nothing, not even a scratch, occurred before! But
> now it is incredibly cracked - it looks like a bullet hit it in the
> center (lacking a hole).
>
> It still works! But it doesn't recognize the pen anymore. Is there
> anything I can do to "salvage" it? I can still see the stuff on the
> screen, tapping just does nothing.
>
> I'm going to buy another one anyway, but thought this might still be
> salvageable. This is an MP120b.
I had the same thing happen to mine. I had the cover on, and took it out to
use it and got a big shock when I saw what happened.
    The touchpad only was broken (there is two layers of glass, one for the
touch pad, that has fine wires embedded into it, and one for the lcd
screen), and there is no way to get your data off, unless you get the
touchpad replaced. Don't worry though, you data will be safe, I have had
mine sitting in my draw for about a year and a half now without batteries
and it has still retained all of it's data ;)

If you are going to buy another one, and if you can afford it, I would
suggest upgrading to a MP2x00. That is what I did, and it was well worth the
money.

Ben Doughney
Director

AdMac Inc.