Re: NTLK Off topic: minidisc (was MP3 decoding chip?)

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 10:59:09 CDT

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, David Nett wrote:

> *why* would you get a minidisc player/recorder
> when CDRs are just over $100 (and can be used for
> other purposes), CDs are <$1 and portable CD
> players are $60 (and you've probably already got
> one)? I've never understood minidisc players.

Because the media is much smaller, much more robust, is field-recordable,
editable, and the players themselves can be absolutely tiny.

I should also point out the minidiscs have been around since long before
CD-Rs were this cheap.

So, yes, there are cheaper solutions, but they aren't as cool :)

gopi.