Re: NTLK internal/card RAM storage management

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 19:59:30 CDT

Here is what I do with mine.
If I have an application that relies on another
application, then both of those apps are on the same
card. Or in the case of the internet connection, my
NewtHopper and my SimpleMail along with cache are on a
seperate 2mb card. This way I just have to pop in my
"internet" card to be able to do internet stuff, and
that offloads my Newt from storing internet stuff when
I'm not even connected!
Plus, I have a 1mb card of nothing but games and I
have another 1mb card of nothing but Quicken (security
don-cha-know)
I've debated keeping my internet address book entries
on my external card, but sometimes I want to compose
an email to someone when I'm not connected to the net,
and I need the address. (I write it in Notes)
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- "Malawi, Hilal" <hmalawi@bechtel.com> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I am struggling with the question of how to best use
> my UMP2000's storage
> capacity. I just acquired a cheap 4MB card to
> replace my 2MB, and suddenly
> have a good chunk of available RAM on the card.
>
> The basic question is what belongs on the internal
> store, and what can live
> comfortably on a flash card?
>
> I was under the impression that items such as
> Macintalk, the Enroute
> extensions, NIE, and the like are best stored on the
> internal. In my case,
> almost all Extensions are on the internal store.
>
> I also like the idea of keeping my names and dates
> soops on the internal
> store as well, in case I need to remove the card.
>
> As a result, on my Newton right now the internal
> store is almost full while
> the 4MB card I have has plenty of space.
>
> So, how are the pros on this list using their
> internal RAM?
>
> -Hilal
>
> Hilal Malawi
> Bechtel Telecommunications
> ***************************************
> NewtonTalk brought to you by:
>
> EVOTE.COM -- the ESPN of politics on the Internet!
> All the players, all the news, and the hottest
> analysis and features (plus 'toons!) anywhere....
> visit http://www.evote.com today!

> Visit the NewtonTalk section at
http://www.planetnewton.com

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://mail.yahoo.com/