NTLK Converting/Fixing unrecognized packages

From: David 'willi' Wilhelm (particlestorm@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 02:17:36 CDT

    Hello,

I have downloaded some packages for my newton that somehow lost their
filetype attributes along the way -- my Mac see's them as documents just
like some other packages (only 1 package I have is actually recognized
by my Mac as such and has an icon) and the Newton will not see them and
thus cannot install them via NCU.

I would like to write an AppleScript or simple app where you could drag
and drop files on a folder/application utility and have it automatically
convert it to not only a readable package for the Newt, but also have it
recognized and assigned a Newton Package icon on the Mac.

Showing how limited my programming skills are, can someone please tell
me what attributes might need changing to alter the Newton package file
in this way (and what to change them to) and maybe suggest the best way
to go after this? I figure maybe a AppleScript that works in
conjunction with ResEdit would do it, but I dunno. Anyway AFAIK there
is no utility like this available.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
willi