NTLK Battery leakage

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 04:30:19 CDT

>It's a mystery to me. But I think batteries drain slowly when kept inside

Right. But they drain the same when kept outside...

>even when an electronics item goes unused

Right.

>to prevent battery leakage, damaging the unit.

Wrong. Self discharge is a chemical process and has nothing whatsoever to do
with battery leakage.

>This is what I'm told by my digital camera's manufacturer, Minolta,
>which drains rechargeable LI batteries between shoots.

If they know what they do, this is probably safe. However, especially LiIon
rechargeables can be permanently damaged if they get discharged too much,
so I always try to store them charged even if I don't use them.

Frank