NTLK Hey! I've found the Ultimate Newton Successor !?? (I think. But what do YOU think?)

From: will.tell@iname.com
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 10:10:51 EST

Well maybe not quite as powerful and fully featured as the MP2K series but
it's the closest so far. It's much better than the Palm Pilot (including
the new color Palm IIIc, now officially presented), better than the Windows
CE PPC's and even its forthcoming successor and soon-to-be-released
PocketPC, better than the Olivetti/Royal daVinci, etc.

Tada tadaaaaaa !

Introducing the Symbian Quartz.
(sounds like advertizement but it is not I'm just somewhat excited)

This is about a VERY promising product platform design from the world top
names in organizers and cell phone manufacturers.

The name Symbian may not ring bells in your mind, specially if you are not
much computer oriented. But to everybody, those names are well known:
Motorola, Ericsson, Nokia and Panasonic who joined two decades long
experienced organizer maker Psion (Psion Software division exactly).

"At our recent US Developers Conference, Symbian previewed the first of its
fully integrated reference designs for Wireless Information Devices, Quartz.

Now, at CeBIT, Symbian reveals the full functionality of the Quartz
Reference Design. See Quartz first hand on the Symbian stand at CeBIT."

Given the fact that mobile phones are much wider spread than PDA's, The
Symbian Quartz units will far outsell the Pilot, WinCE and other wannabes
in no time at all. Much more than the Pilot could even dream of attaining.

"Symbian's mission is to set the standard for mobile wireless operating
systems and to enable a mass market for Wireless Information Devices."

Given Psion (therefore Symbian) experience with personal organizers (from
1982), their great understanding of the market, their polished interface
design (EPOC 5 on Series 5 and Revo), their low processing requirements,
their excellent cellphone connectivity (GSM/PCS/DCS with S5 and Revo),
given the total weight of the 4 mentionned mobile phone manufacturers (over
80% of the global market), Symbian EPOC/Quartz based units will be the most
serious player in both the PDA and cell phone realm (some machines will be
both à la Nokia 9000/9110).

Looks like it's all (well much) the Newton OS could have become, would
Apple have continued the development of our beloved companion.

Enough ranting, just jump there (link below) and tell me what you think !

http://www.symbian.com/news/featured/quartz_feat.html

Jean-Louis
Newton grafted since 1994
Lausanne, Lake Geneva Area, Switzerland

(Excerpts are pasted here from Symbian web pages.)

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com