Re: NTLK Network lan cards and PCMCIA

From: jon glass (jonglass@usa.net)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 01:21:16 EST

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 6:40 AM, NewtonTalk
<mailto:newtontalk@planetnewton.com> wrote:
> Because the PCMCIA slot in the Newton is occupied by the memory card,=20
> I decided to go for the Global Village 33.6 Modems, they work just=20
> fine with Newton Modem selected as modem type. They plug into the=20
> serial port on the side.
> If you want to treat yourself to something nice, you can also get=20
> yourself a Newton keyboard ... and all of a sudden, you have a=20
> complete computer system which fits in a handbag :).

What I do is pop my memory card, and insert a modem card. This has two
benefits.
1. Most my packages are on the card, so removing it frees up a lot of heap,
just for NIE.
2. By putting most of my packages on the card, I have more room on my
internal store for data, especially email. :-) I heartily recommend it.
Doing it this way also makes it easy to do card backups of all my data. The
only data on my card is several hundred names that aren't important, but
nice to have in case. :-)

-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
<mailto:jonglass@usa.net>