NTLK plain text / edited quotes

From: Tom Swell (swell@rohan.sdsu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 13:52:37 EST

Howdy all,

It seems time for another gentle reminder about the beauty of brevity on the
list. If you are not using the archive version you may not realize how your
message looks in that form. Below is an example.

This person uses the formatted text option of his email program. I'm sure
his message looks beautiful on his emailer and probably other compatible
systems, but it doesn't look good in the archive or on simple email
programs.

This person has quoted the entire message that he is responding to, which
makes his message quite long and tedious. Note that his actual message is
only one sentence. See if you can find it amidst the bewildering array of
HTML code.

I have no problem with long messages. I can download a megabyte of email in
about 10 seconds. Others find the daily 100K volume difficult to manage.
Many are using Newtons and other underpowered machines.

Please take a moment NOW to look at your email configuration. Are you
sending plain or formatted text? Is it really important to use formatted
text? Have you been punching the command that copies the entire message that
you respond to, or are you taking a moment to edit it for the pleasure of
the 1600 readers out there?

This list is already one of the most friendly and considerate places on the
internet, but it is not always the easiest to read.

blessings,
Tom Swell

http://www.evote.com"

http://www.planetnewton.com"