Re: NTLK Still problems with NewtonPress

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 21:13:34 EST

Yo Gert & other interested people,

>I guess that the Mac version of NewtonPress does not show this
>strange behaviour.
>So, is there a good Mac-emulator (preferraby for Linux) that allows me to use
>NewtonPress for Mac on my PC?

The best Mac emulator is - uhmm - well, a Mac. I bought some very
cheap ones a while ago, they were $15 each (Mac IIci). Ok, they are
not top of the crop, but a Mac emulator would be even slower, as I
doubt very much that it would emulate a PPC. I think they limit
themselves to a 680x0 processor.

All I needed to add was a keyboard, mouse and Ethernet card ($20 for
the 3 of them) and a Monitor - that was expensive at $50. - So for
under $100, I had a working system, with 12 MB of RAM. Ok, I added an
external CD-ROM for $23 - I had the external case standing around, as
well as an extra SCSI cable & terminator. I also bought a 1 GB SCSI
drive and after all was put together, I installed system 7.6 + the
upgrade to 7.6.1. The machine is - ok, slow! But it serves it's
purpose, which is to let me make Backups of my Newton via EtherTalk.
(Actually that is a byproduct, I got it to be able to get images out
of my QuickTake 150 - the software for the camera doesn't like MacOS
8.6 or 9 too much, which I have running on my other Macs, hence the
little old machine). You might get away with spending around $100 for
all - you can d/l System 7.5 from Apple, which will run stable. 7.6.1
is the latest which will work on such a machine.

And I have a second machine in the cupboard ... selling for $120, but
only 8 MB RAM - any takers? If you want, I pre-install the OS plus
the Newton utilities.

BTW: on a Mac, cut and past of any color image into Newton Press
works. It converts to 16 colors when in 2000 mode and to 2 colors
when in classic mode, I have not tried the others. I have my
PowerBook usually in "tousands" (32K) color mode and my 9600 in
"millions" (16.7M) color mode and so far, no problems ...

Best regards,
Chris

Chris Ruprecht * chrup@earthlink.net

about us at some time. Find out why at: