Re: NTLK Still problems with NewtonPress

From: Gert Menke (gert@menke.za.net)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 19:53:12 EST

Hi,

Maybe someone is interested in this...

Further investigations have shown the following:
Whenever NewtonPress (for Windows) gets a Picture it seems to do the following:
First, the image is converted to the 'standard' Windows Palette (16 colors or so);
every color is replaced by the one that matches best.
_After_ that, the image is converted to grayscales.

Example:
I tried to import pictures that I had already converted to 16 grays. They all
looked awful. Now I know why:
A 16-grays-image first gets forced into that windows-palette, which means that it
is approximated by the 4 gray levels that windows has to offer in 16-color-mode;
then the image is converted (back) to 16 grays which means no improvement.

So, you're lucky when your picture 'fits well' into the windows palette.
But if it doesn't... well, bad luck. :-(

I guess that the Mac version of NewtonPress does not show this strange behaviour.
So, is there a good Mac-emulator (preferraby for Linux) that allows me to use
NewtonPress for Mac on my PC?

Greetings,
Gert

PS:
When I do not use the 256 color mode, NewtonPress seems to distort the colors
in a different way, but that doesn't look good either. :-(

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com