RE: NTLK What is with these .vcf attachments???

From: Jon Shurtleff (jon.shurtleff@munich.netsurf.de)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 16:30:39 EST

Well Victor,

Of all the responses I got to this post this was the only rational one that
provided a valid reason for turning off the .vcfs. Ironically, I discovered
after sending that post that I don't even have them turned on here at home
where I post to the list. I only use them at work. I'm not convinced that
it's really a significant issue but it's a moot point. Still, at least
twice since I've been active on list there have been rapid discussions about
'netiquette' that if I were not committed to the platform and to trying to
make some kind of contribution would have caused me to seriously consider
pulling the plug on my subscription and it's this kind of craziness that I
object to. Others ranged from the fear of filling up one's hard disk with
100 byte .vcfs and getting virus infections from them to being ordered to
act like a proper 'Newton User'. There's plenty of stuff on the list that I
don't like or don't particularly care to deal with but I just deal with it
just I do in the non-electronic aspects of my life. That's just kinda how
the world works. I just can't help but wonder how many others are driven
away by this kind of thing.

Jon.