Re: NTLK NCU problems

From: Kenny Song (kensong@pc.jaring.my)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 13:55:00 EST

------
I'm in trouble.
I've been having difficulty doing backups because my Mac (Powerbook 2400 G3
240) was freezing up half way through. Even attempting to do a backup with
extensions off I ended up with the same problem. After many restarts of my
Mac, trashing the NCU preferences, zapping my Mac's PRAM, rebuilding the
desktop, reinstalling NCU version 1.0, my Newton 2000 now tells me that it
"cannot connect with this version of the desktop application" (NCU version
1.0). I've tried both AppleTalk and serial connections with no success
------
Paul, stick with Appletalk and NCU. It's much more reliable and faster. You said the Mac freezes halfway through... does this mean a connection was established and backup procedures progressed? Was this before you switched to OS 9.0? Did you make sure the 2 critical Appletalk extensions are installed? I can think of three things to watch out for at the moment (sorry... it's 2.00 am... yawn).
1. Did you do a fresh backup? Never do an incremental backup.
2. Is your Newton powered by AC? I have found weak batteries interrupt connections even if your Newton seem to be awake and alive.
3. Is your dongle firmly attached? If you have some give in the attachment. it's a suspect. when I switched to my new G3 Pbook, I couldn't get my Newt to establish a Connection via Ethernet. I later found out changing to a spare dongIe did the trick.

Well, let me know how it goes.

Kenny Song
<Sent with Newton Messagepad/SimpleMail v 3.3.1d1>

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com