Re: NTLK Interest in a printing program?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 02:55:55 EST

On 2/4/2000 11:09 AM, Gert Menke [mailto:gert@menke.za.net] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think a Program like that already exists.
>It's called NewtonPCPrint and is written by Alexander Künzer.
>But it costs 40 DM. I don't know exactly how much this is in $, but if
>your Program would cost only 5$, it would be certainly worth it.
>I, for myself, am no longer interested in Windows programs, cause I
>now prefer Linux. I never tried printing from the Newton but it should
>be quie easy under Linux. You should be able to do something like:
> cat /dev/ttyS1 | lpr
>(using a PostScript printer driver on the Newton)
>Is anybody reading this who can tell me if I'm right?
>
>Greetings,
>Gert

The Newton's PostScript driver uses AppleTalk, not serial or TCP/IP. I
doubt that Linux's serial port stuff supports Appletalk protocols, much
less the 240Kbps speed of Localtalk. So trying to concatenate the input
from one serial port to the printer probably won't do much for you.... ;-)

You might be able to do that with serial-based printers supported by
other printer drivers or Print Pack drivers, though; we had something on
Info-Newt on doing that about a year ago (at 57600 baud):

http://www.info-newt.com/backissues/1999/19990328.html

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com