NTLK I think I'm cursed (long)

From: Santiago Vaquera (svaquera@mac.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 23:29:59 EST

Hi,

So I recently upgraded from an MP130 to an MP2000. A great upgrade by
the way, I am very excited about this new Newt.
Here's the deal,
Along with the Newt I also got an ethernet PC Card: 3Com 3C589C (the
back of the card reads: PN: 16-0020-000 Rev: D --if this is important).
I downloaded the drivers from Victor's site and proceeded to set the
Newt up on my network (Powermac G3 Blue/White; Performa 6360; MacOS 9 on
both). As I was never able to get the Belkin USB/Serial adapter to work
correctly with the G3, I use the Performa to backup the Newts. Anyway,
as soon as the MP2K arrived, I was very excited about plugging it into
the ethernet network.
Nothing happened.
I tried out the different 3Com drivers, to no avail. I did get the
basic 3c589 driver to load, but there was never a connection. I tried
to download some email, nothing. I reinstalled the drivers a couple
of times, as well as reset the Newton a number of times.
I'm thinking that the card or the cable is messed up, because the LED on
my ethernet hub wouldn't light up when the card was in the Newt (there
is also no LED on the cable).
So the person who sold me the card is sending me a new one.
The dream of updating via ethernet having failed, I also ordered a PC
card modem, a Global Village Platinum Powerport. The software and
manuals are in Japanese, but the US software was also included in the
box. Not that it mattered. I put the modem in the pc card slot and in
a few minutes I was happily downloading email. Very nifty.
I discovered one thing though, I couldn't get the card into the lower pc
card slot on the newt. It would only go into the upper slot.

Being that I still have the ethernet card, I was still bothered that it
wouldn't work, then I saw the messages about doing a hard reset. I
thought, maybe that's what I need to do. I backed up the Newt, then I
did the hard reset. Afterwards, I decided to do clean reinstalls of the
packages that I had been using, just in case. I reinstalled NIE 2, I
had to redo my Internet set ups (the Newt is less than a week old in my
possession, so it was no big deal), I had to restore my address book (I
thought it was still on the MP130, but it wasn't). So after going
through the process, I put in the ethernet card, start up NCU on the G3
and expect miracles.
Nothing.

It didn't work.

Later this afternoon I decide to use the pc card modem again. I slide
it into the upper pc slot and I get this message: "There is problem
with this card. (This memory card could not be formatted. (This memory
card is write protected.))"
What? I slipped the card out and reinserted. The same message. I
think that maybe it's just a mistake, so I try to download email.
Failure.

(here's another: being that I didn't have a copy of SimpleMail on my
desktop, I decided to restore it to the Newt from my backup file. I got
an error message saying something like "this version of Simplemail can
not work with this system"--or something along those lines. So I delete
the package and download a fresh copy from the net. I reinstall the
package, I get the same error message. But at the same time, it appears
as an option in my In/Out box.)

By this time I'm starting to lose composure. I try to restore the
original backup file --after first backing up to another file. Popping
in the modem, I get the same error. At the same time I'm perplexed
about not being able to insert the card into the lower slot. So after
jiggling with it (I know I know, a serious serious bad thing), I get the
card in. Same error message (can't format the card). I try again, same
message.
I then try to release the card from the slot. Nothing. It's stuck. I
finally got it out of the slot, I won't say how, it's ugly and painful
to think about. But the release lever for the lower slot doesn't work
now. I have the dummy card inserted, I can get it out (by gingerly
prying my fingernails under it), but the lever remains closed (pushed
in, whatever).

So at the end of this day, I have a reformatted Newt that is more
responsive than before, but I also have a lower card slot with a lever
(push button, whatever) that doesn't work, an ethernet card that still
doesn't work, and a modem card that is being treated as a storage card.

If you've gotten this far, are there any suggestions? Am I cursed?
Should I seek divine intervention?

(another thing: I have a Powerbook G3 --it belongs to the university,
but it's mine to work with-- and on a whim I inserted both cards into
the pc card slot --not at the same time. Both appeared on the desktop.
I couldn't get the ethernet card to work, and I didn't try the modem
card (not sure how it would work anyway, as the Powerbook already has
ethernet and a modem built in)).

Sorry that this is such a long message,

Thanks,

Santiago