[NTLK] Newton programming on Win or *nix

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Thu Mar 19 17:53:53 EDT 2020

OK, well, on the Linux side, things should be relatively easy as MacOS is also based on *nix. So the PTY driver, used to emulate a serial cable, should be available. If you can manage to compile Einstein on Linux, I can explain how to add PTY support. I can try to compile it here too, but I am so slow on Linux ;-) . BasiliskII should already come with PTY support enabled. If not, I can try to make my BasiliskII code compile on Linux.

Mow Windows10 is another thing. If I get Einstein to compile, I'll also have to check what BasiliskII already offers for serial emulation and try to implement the other end on Einstein.

Maybe I should have used a TCP/IP connection to begin with, so Einstein must not necessarily run on the same machine or operating system as Basilisk. Heck, with a RaspberryPi, we could hook a MessagePad to the Pi via a serial port, and connect NTK through Basilisk to it.

Greetings to Nevada, and all the best!

 🦎