[NTLK] Worldwide Online Newton Conference 2020

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Wed Apr 15 19:02:23 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 18:38 Pawel Piotrowski <newton at indigi.co.uk> wrote:

> 1. Do we want to have 1 day or 2 days event? If only 1 day, which one will
> be better (2nd May - Saturday or 3rd May - Sunday)?

A two-day event would be preferable.

2. Do we want to make this event private or public? There are pros and cons
> for both options. Private option - less likely to get a troll during
> session. Public option - we can invite other interested people, not only
> Newton Users from our group. Personally, I am for the public option.

I'd lean toward public with a password set. That said, I highly suggest
Zoom's Webinar platform (see
<
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115005474943-Meeting-and-webinar-comparison>)
as this will allow you to only allow video from presenters, thereby
reducing likelihood of zoombombing, but also increasing quality for all
attendees. Unfortunately, it is an increased cost.

3. We thinking about to create some Patreon account to gather a few coins
> to buy some small gifts for presenters, and to cover some expenses (web
> domain, Zoom account for unlimited time etc.). We will ask for really small
> donations. What do you think about it?

Definitely try to get donations, you deserve it for organizing such an
event.

4. We thinking about to create separate Slack group for additional
> communication, files exchange etc. We don’t want to use existing Slack
> group (applenewton.slack.com <http://applenewton.slack.com/>), as the
> free option have 10K messages limitation. What do you think about it?

I don't think a conference-specific Slack channel is appropriate for a
small, short conference, esp. when we have a dedicated mailing list for
Newton-related discussions. I'd just suggest that people subscribe to this
list for further discussion as it'll likely all be on-topic, unless Grant
feels otherwise.

If you have any other ideas, suggestions, opinions, you want to help
> somehow to organise this event etc, please do not hesitate to answer on
> that email!

I think recordings of the sessions are a must.

Thanks again and best of luck Pawel and Noah, it's a great idea and I look
forward to attending.

Morgan
--
Morgan