[NTLK] Worldwide Online Newton Conference 2020

Tere tjggriffin1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 12:41:20 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 6:37 PM Pawel Piotrowski <newton at indigi.co.uk>
wrote:

> UPDATE #1
>
> After conversation with Noah we have a few ideas. Please remember that are
> ideas and initial assumptions!
>

> 1. Date: 2nd and 3rd May 2020
>
> - That would give us all enough time to book the free time for that event
> (almost 3 weeks from today)

I'd really love to participate, but I'm taking a tech-break 30 day. It ends
May 13.

2. Time: 17:00 UTC (9:00 to 12:00 in USA, 18:00 in most of the EU countries)

> - We thin this is the best solution for USA, Canada and Europe.
> Unfortunately, Asia and Australia will suffer, but we need to find best
> compromise. It is impossible to satisfy everyone… :(
>
> 3. Duration: about 4 hours per day (but if participants wants to
> networking longer we can keep video conference longer)
>
> - I think we could start with something short at the firs time. Something
> like 3-4 presentations per day.
>
> 4. Conference platform: Zoom.us <http://zoom.us/>
>
> - It is not perfect platform, but it is easiest platform, available for
> most operation systems, easy to use, and it is free to use for participants.
>
> 5. Noah will be the Host (keep order, introducing presenters etc.). I’m
> happy to hosting Zoom session and manage with participants, text chats,
> schedule graphics etc.
>
> 6. Format:
>
> - A few panels with presentations (presenters talk, participants listen).
> After each presentation, participants will be able to ask questions via
> text chat (it is integrated with Zoom app) and then presenter will answer
> the questions.
> - Short break (like 5-10 minutes) between each presentation.
> - At the end of the day we could try some networking (all participants
> will be able to talk).
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> 7. Presenters: We have a few potential presenters. If you want to be a
> presenter, please contact me or Noah.
>
> 8. Details, schedule etc: We will prepare website with all informations
> about that event. Should be available next week.
>

> We have a few questions to all potential participants:
>
> 1. Do we want to have 1 day or 2 days event? If only 1 day, which one will
> be better (2nd May - Saturday or 3rd May - Sunday)?
> 2. Do we want to make this event private or public? There are pros and
> cons for both options. Private option - less likely to get a troll during
> session. Public option - we can invite other interested people, not only
> Newton Users from our group. Personally, I am for the public option.

Maybe private? I'm not sure how it all works. Is there an
invitation/registration process for private meetings? If not, maybe we
could setup a separate participant list that can people can join, either by
invitation or have it open to the public. Then we could publicize it on
other forums. We could have a deadline for joining this list. That way we
have known (or at least maximum) group of participants w/ nearly the scope
of a public meeting. But maybe that all normally part of a private
meeting...

3. We thinking about to create some Patreon account to gather a few coins
> to buy some small gifts for presenters, and to cover some expenses (web
> domain, Zoom account for unlimited time etc.). We will ask for really small
> donations. What do you think about it?

Great idea!

> 4. We thinking about to create separate Slack group for additional
> communication, files exchange etc. We don’t want to use existing Slack
> group (applenewton.slack.com <http://applenewton.slack.com/>), as the
> free option have 10K messages limitation. What do you think about it?

Also a great idea!

> If you have any other ideas, suggestions, opinions, you want to help
> somehow to organise this event etc, please do not hesitate to answer on
> that email!

In addition to networking at the end of the day, maybe take live questions
via Twitter. That would probably mean someone would have to curate.  Or
maybe allow questions to be submitted prior to the meeting. Just a thought.

Someone already mentioned recording it. I don't know if these
meeting platforms have that feature built in, or how good they are, or if
good recording is worth the potential of other feature that might be
missing or badly implemented. My thought is if there is way to record via a
separate screen capture app, maybe some or all of the presenters could each
record locally and we could edit them together to maintain consistent
quality.

How about specifying a subject tag for questions/comment sent to NTLK, or
the comments section wherever the recording is posted, that arise from the
presentations. Maybe additional tags for specific presentations. Some thing
like [WONC20] [APPS] or [WWONC2020] [Batteries].

--

- Tere