[NTLK] Newton cable

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Wed Sep 19 16:52:14 EDT 2018

Yeah, that thing looks promising Dennis, but it's actually purpose-built
for some other function.

Describing cables from the 1980s and 1990s solely by their connector
ends doesn't tell the entire story.  I could use a DB25-DB25 cable with
25 straight-through conductors as a parallel port cable, or a serial cable,

Back in the day, if I were in desperate need for a Newton-compatible
serial cable, I'd ask for either a "PC serial cable for an Apple
printer" or a "Mac external modem cable".

"PC serial to Apple printer"* would produce a cable with miniDIN-8M and
DB9F (but sometimes DB25F) connectors. These were for connecting an
Apple LaserWriter's serial/LocalTalk port directly to a PC.  They were
/almost/ the correct pinout; attaching a null modem to swap the Rx and
Tx pins around would make it work.

The "Mac external modem cable" looked similar, but usually had a DB25 on
one end instead of a DB9.  This is the correct pinout, and worked great
coupled with one of those formerly ubiquitous DB25-DB9 serial port
adapters that everyone had a dozen of.

* (I actually used to use one of these /for an actual printer/ for many
years, hooked to a LaserWriter NTR with a burned-out parallel port but a
perfectly working serial port)

-V