[NTLK] Einstein "Workshop" extension

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Fri Mar 3 12:00:31 EST 2017

> On Mar 3, 2017, at 5:06 PM, Matej Horvat <matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 16:03:54 +0100, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:
>
>> Either way, what do you suggest we do? Continue NTX, continue Workshop,
>> continue both? Continue together? At least with serial port support on
>> Einstein now, NTX would probably work with very little modification.
>
> Continue DyneTK? It seemed off to a good start. I think compatibility with existing NTK projects would be nice at least because of Apple's sample code.

Well, I re-evaluated DyneTK a few weeks ago. It is not a bad piece of software. I was surprised that I occasionally wrote readable code back then ;-) . But I am unsure about the way NTK, and DyneTK work. The half graphical, half text way of programming is foreign to me. I know that others love the graphical interface. A tough decision.

I am sure I would be able to get DyneTK to compile and work again. It would run on MSWindows, Mac, and Linux.

> For Windows, there's a program called com0com that emulates a pair of serial ports connected to each other. There's probably a way to do this on other platforms as well. If Einstein's serial port emulation can carry an Inspector connection, then it wouldn't matter what IDE someone is using as long as it implements the Inspector protocol.

Yes, the serial port emulation works well and easy on macOS X. It's more a question to make Apps recognize and list the Einstein port in their preferences. But that is easy to solve.

Thanks for the input!

 - Matthias