[NTLK] OT: Cell phones

Grant Hutchinson newtontalkmessages at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 16:20:18 EST 2017

> On Dec 30, 2017, at 1:29 PM, Forrest <newton_phoenix at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> The other day when recalling an event from the past I paused to stop and think: what was it like before cellphones?

Quieter.

> I recall getting my first cellphone in 1995 as part of a promotion from the local phone company.

A acquaintance of mine from high school had one of those huge "bagphones" back in the late-80s. A large, brick-sized handset sat in a bag alongside an enormous battery ... the whole apparatus was slung over your shoulder like a purse.

As strange as it might seem (being the deep-rooted technology hound that I am), I didn’t get my first cellphone until 2007 ... and it wasn’t even the iPhone. It was an LG Chocolate.

g.