[NTLK] OT: Cell phones

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Sun Dec 31 12:56:09 EST 2017

And I bet that unit had a lot more range.  I got my first in mid 1990's
(a small Motorola handset), worked well too.  Still have it in fact, but
it no longer works on todays networks.  But I only used it for
emergencies when traveling or such.  Never gave out the number at all.

I think when cell phones started popping up everywhere was in mid
2000's.  At that point you could go into a store and always see someone
yacking on their phone.  And people getting texts while waiting for a
traffic light to change or such.

The "new wave" happened shortly after Apple did their iPhone.  That
surged the phone everywhere.  Not just Apple but phones in general since
they were not connected to the Internet and 'had' to check email for
work all the time etc.  Now you are odd if you don't have one.  Heck
sites like Microsoft require you to put in your phone to get a security
code if your account ever gets locked.  They don't even GIVE the option
for just email verification now (which really BUGS me, I don't want to
pay for a text to verify an account THEY locked by mistake nor do I want
to give them my number I have enough junk coming though).

As a downside all this connectivity means you 'can't get away'.  Even if
you are home at 8pm if your boss can't get a hold of you, you might get
fired.  That didn't happen 15 or so years ago.  People would say "oh
they are out of the office right now, but I can take a message."  That
does NOT happen anymore. :(  People are more impatient than ever, and
they really get mad if they can't get a hold of you at the drop of a
hat.  Certainly a large downside to the cell phone age, something that
was suppose to give more free time but actually ends up eating it like a
starving man.

-Dan