[NTLK] correction to previous post Re: Hello to all:...Can someone please refresh my memo...

Forrest newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 30 15:29:33 EST 2017

“So if you just want a basic phone for emergencies, get the Jitterbug Flip.
However they do make a Jitterbug slab smartphone also, if you prefer that.”

The other day when recalling an event from the past I paused to stop and think: what was it like before cellphones?

Of course as someone born in the late 1950s it’s not hard to remember those times. But it gets much more difficult to recall the time when they first started showing up everywhere.

I recall getting my first cellphone in 1995 as part of a promotion from the local phone company. It was offered for free, did not offer free long distance (unlike today) and featured only a (relatively) small amount of minutes per month. As both Dennis and BCD have pointed out, it was meant for emergencies only, dammit, no long chats. Do that when you get home on your landline phone, or back at the office. They were obviously testing the waters of this whole new cellphone thing.

I can recall when I first started seeing web addresses (URLs) being featured in TV advertising: 1998. Much harder to recall exactly when, for many people, it was becoming clear that you HAD to have a cellphone (family, friends wanted to stay in better touch), and not just for your job.

It’s becoming easier to imagine a home without a television than one without at least one cellphone in it.

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 6S Plus