[NTLK] Wireless Cards - Lucent

RAParker RAParker at newted.org
Sun Feb 7 20:47:16 EST 2016

> On Feb 7, 2016, at 11:30 AM, Doctor Clu wrote:
>
> Options are:
>
> Wireless Interface:  *Enabled

Enabled :-)

> Wi-fi Protected set up:    Disabled*

Disabled - WPS has security issues.

> SSID Broadcast   Disabled*  Enabled.

Enabled - I've seen my Newton searching and not connecting when disabled.

> Wireless Channel:

Choose 1, 6, or 11 -  They are the only non-overlapping channels. Mine is set to Channel 6.

I have experienced interference issues where the Newton refuses to connect when using off channels.

> tried Auto with no luck)

Likely my fault … mixing up that whole "WEP Open / NOT WEP Shared" thingy.

> Current channel is 11

Good.

> Wireless Security *Enabled  Disabled

Enabled.

> Authentication Type:
> WEP-Open

WEP Open.

> Power Setting: 400mw

Highest power is OK. Lower power only  reduces the effective range to every client but the NSA. ;-)

> Wireless mode:
> 802.11b/g
> 802.11 b
> 802.11 g

802.11b only for Newton WaveLAN compatibility.

> DTIM Period (currently 1

Use the default.

> Maximum Connection Rate:

> 11 mbps

Set to 11 Mbps because it's the max for 802.11b and the best for other wireless clients. A Newton could never process 11Mbits of data (approximately 1 Megabyte) in a single second, anyhow.

> What is interesting is the defaults shown off to the side:
> 1
> 400 mW
> 802.11 b/g

> 54 mbps

54 Mbps is 802.11g. Set to 802.11b only and not 802.11 b/g (mixed) to force it to be WaveLAN compatible.

I have updated my Two-Legged NAT to a Four-Legged Master NAT. The updated tutorial is now written - I just need to draw the new network diagram and shoot a cover photo. Stay tuned. For now, here is the link to the old tutorial:

<http://newtzilla.quadzilla.net/html/-447584087$87.nsd>

--
RAParker
    |\/|\  @ Newted.ORG
    |\ |    @ TahoeSunsets.COM
--
Dictated using Siri and an iNewt Touch 6s Plus while in “the middle of nowhere.”